Los Alamos' Livability
About Los Alamos, NM
Los Alamos, NM is located in Los Alamos County in the state of New Mexico.
The total City Population for Los Alamos is about 13,270 with about 451 people per square mile.
The Average Home Value is $343,197, which is roughly 63% higher than the Average Home Value of $127,634 for the state of New Mexico, and roughly 37% higher than the National Average of $217,072.
The Median Income Per Household is about $118,293, which is roughly 66% higher than the Average Median Income Per Household of $40,340 for the state of New Mexico, and roughly 45% higher higher than the National Average of $65,026.
Demographic DetailsAverage # of People Per Household: 1.17
Male Population Estimate: 51.4%
Female Population Estimate: 48.6%
Median Age: 41.4
Male Median Age: 22.0
Female Median Age: 22.4
Racial Demographic Estimates
Ben Ray Luján
Michelle Lujan Grisham
Voting Results by Party
NOTE: Crime is available at the County level so this doesn't necessarily represent the city of Los Alamos specifically.
Average # of Homicides for Los Alamos County: About 0 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 0)
Average # of Violent Crimes for Los Alamos County: About 178.117 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Los Alamos County is about 100% lower than the national average of about 4 homicides per 100,000 people, and about 38% lower than the national average of about 288 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
The Unemployment Rate for Los Alamos is about 2.6%.
New Mexico is ranked #13 out of 52 for Best and Worst States to Work in America, with an overall score of 67.89 out of 100.
Wage PoliciesOverall Wage Policy Score: 62.44
The average living wage for the state of New Mexico is $31.58/hr, while the states minimum wage is $10.50/hr, which can be set above the state standard, and is extended to farm workers. This gives New Mexico a minimum wage score of 59.22 compared to all other states.
The minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.55/hr, which gives New Mexico a minimum wage for tipped employees score of 2.4 compared to all other states.
The weekly unemployment (UI) benefit for New Mexico is $274.70, resulting in a UI benefit score of 84.75 compared to all other states.
Worker Protection PoliciesOverall Worker Protection Score: 71.43
✓ New Mexico does offer protections for workplace breastfeeding.
✓ New Mexico does mandate equal pay across gender and race.
X New Mexico does prohibit pay secrecy practices in the workplace.
X New Mexico does restrict access to salary history to reduce gender and racial bias.
X New Mexico does provide some form of paid family leave.
X New Mexico does provide some form of paid sick leave.
X New Mexico does not provide flexible scheduling of worker shifts.
X New Mexico does not mandate pay reporting or "call-in" pay by employers.
X New Mexico does not provide split shift pay regulation.
X New Mexico does not provide workers advanced notice of shift scheduling.
✓ New Mexico does provide some form of sexual harassment protection in state law.
✓ New Mexico does extend workers compensation mandates to farmworkers.
✓ New Mexico does not extend worker protections to domestic workers.
Right To Organize PoliciesOverall Right To Organize Score: 70
✓ New Mexico does legalize project labor agreements to ensure a fair wage to workers on contract.
✓ New Mexico does not protect workers against wage theft retaliation.
✓ New Mexico does partially require collective bargaining for public workers.
✓ New Mexico does provide collective bargaining for teachers.
✓ New Mexico does provide wage negotiations for teachers.
A global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice.
- Scientific Lab, NM ( 2.16 mi. )
- Bandelier National Monument, NM ( 4.07 mi. )
- White Rock, NM ( 7.38 mi. )
- San Ildefonso Pueblo, NM ( 9.16 mi. )
- Quarteles, NM ( 9.82 mi. )
- El Rancho, NM ( 11.22 mi. )
- Santa Clara Pueblo, NM ( 12.14 mi. )
- La Mesilla, NM ( 12.54 mi. )
- Jaconita, NM ( 12.60 mi. )
- Guachupangue, NM ( 12.89 mi. )
- Jacona, NM ( 13.85 mi. )
- Fairview, NM ( 14.08 mi. )
- San Jose, NM ( 14.38 mi. )
- Espanola, NM ( 14.40 mi. )
- Santo Nino, NM ( 14.59 mi. )
- Hernandez, NM ( 14.70 mi. )
- Sombrillo, NM ( 15.28 mi. )
- El Duende, NM ( 15.35 mi. )
- Pojoaque, NM ( 15.42 mi. )
- Ranchitos, NM ( 15.55 mi. )
- Cuyamungue, NM ( 15.59 mi. )
- Santa Cruz, NM ( 15.64 mi. )
- San Ildefonso, NM ( 15.80 mi. )
- Tesuque Puebl, NM ( 15.80 mi. )
- Chamita, NM ( 16.19 mi. )
- Chili, NM ( 16.30 mi. )
- El Guique, NM ( 16.32 mi. )
- San Juan Pblo, NM ( 16.32 mi. )
- San Juan Pueblo, NM ( 16.35 mi. )
- Ohkay Owingeh, NM ( 16.55 mi. )
- Pueblito, NM ( 16.91 mi. )
- Cochiti Lake, NM ( 17.20 mi. )
- La Puebla, NM ( 17.28 mi. )
- Guique, NM ( 17.94 mi. )
- Tesuque Pueblo, NM ( 18.34 mi. )
- Alcalde, NM ( 18.45 mi. )
- La Villita, NM ( 19.42 mi. )
- Estaca, NM ( 19.77 mi. )
- Cochiti Pueblo, NM ( 19.99 mi. )
- Medanales, NM ( 20.51 mi. )
- Chimayo, NM ( 20.61 mi. )
- Cochiti Publo, NM ( 20.66 mi. )
- Los Luceros, NM ( 20.72 mi. )
- Medalanes, NM ( 20.94 mi. )
- Medenales, NM ( 20.94 mi. )
- Canones, NM ( 21.08 mi. )
- Chupadero, NM ( 21.21 mi. )
- Los Pachecos, NM ( 21.26 mi. )
- Abiquiu, NM ( 21.44 mi. )
Additional Location DetailsZip Code(s): 87544, 87545 (2 Total Zip Codes)
TimeZone: Mountain (GMT -07:00)
Daylight Saving: Yes
Average Elevation: 7287.0 ft.
Area Code(s): 505