Black Hat's Livability
About Black Hat, NM
Black Hat, NM is located in Mckinley County in the state of New Mexico.
The total City Population for Black Hat is about 23,674.
The Average Home Value is $121,600, which is roughly 4% lower than the Average Home Value of $126,359 for the state of New Mexico, and roughly 36% lower than the National Average of $188,692.
The Median Income Per Household is about $42,850, which is roughly 18% higher than the Average Median Income Per Household of $35,200 for the state of New Mexico, and roughly 26% lower higher than the National Average of $57,518.
Demographic DetailsAverage # of People Per Household: 2.82
Male Population Estimate: 47.9%
Female Population Estimate: 52.1%
Median Age: 31.8
Male Median Age: 30.6
Female Median Age: 33.1
Racial Demographic Estimates
Ben Ray Luján
Michelle Lujan Grisham
Voting Results by Party
NOTE: Crime is available at the County level so this doesn't necessarily represent the city of Black Hat specifically.
Average # of Homicides for Mckinley County: About 15.138 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Average # of Violent Crimes for Mckinley County: About 710.155 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Mckinley County is about 74% higher than the national average of about 4 homicides per 100,000 people, and about 59% higher than the national average of about 288 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
New Mexico is ranked #13 out of 52 for Best and Worst States to Work in America, with an overall score of 67.89 out of 100.
Wage PoliciesOverall Wage Policy Score: 62.44
The average living wage for the state of New Mexico is $31.58/hr, while the states minimum wage is $10.50/hr, which can be set above the state standard, and is extended to farm workers. This gives New Mexico a minimum wage score of 59.22 compared to all other states.
The minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.55/hr, which gives New Mexico a minimum wage for tipped employees score of 2.4 compared to all other states.
The weekly unemployment (UI) benefit for New Mexico is $274.70, resulting in a UI benefit score of 84.75 compared to all other states.
Worker Protection PoliciesOverall Worker Protection Score: 71.43
✓ New Mexico does offer protections for workplace breastfeeding.
✓ New Mexico does mandate equal pay across gender and race.
X New Mexico does prohibit pay secrecy practices in the workplace.
X New Mexico does restrict access to salary history to reduce gender and racial bias.
X New Mexico does provide some form of paid family leave.
X New Mexico does provide some form of paid sick leave.
X New Mexico does not provide flexible scheduling of worker shifts.
X New Mexico does not mandate pay reporting or "call-in" pay by employers.
X New Mexico does not provide split shift pay regulation.
X New Mexico does not provide workers advanced notice of shift scheduling.
✓ New Mexico does provide some form of sexual harassment protection in state law.
✓ New Mexico does extend workers compensation mandates to farmworkers.
✓ New Mexico does not extend worker protections to domestic workers.
Right To Organize PoliciesOverall Right To Organize Score: 70
✓ New Mexico does legalize project labor agreements to ensure a fair wage to workers on contract.
✓ New Mexico does not protect workers against wage theft retaliation.
✓ New Mexico does partially require collective bargaining for public workers.
✓ New Mexico does provide collective bargaining for teachers.
✓ New Mexico does provide wage negotiations for teachers.
A global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice.
- Tse Bonito, NM ( 2.63 mi. )
- Navajo Indian Reservation, AZ ( 3.44 mi. )
- Tse Bonita, AZ ( 3.44 mi. )
- Window Rock, AZ ( 6.23 mi. )
- Yatahey, NM ( 9.52 mi. )
- Hunters Point, AZ ( 9.79 mi. )
- Fort Defiance, AZ ( 9.92 mi. )
- Defiance, NM ( 10.42 mi. )
- Mentmore, NM ( 10.46 mi. )
- Williams Acres, NM ( 10.67 mi. )
- Twin Lakes, NM ( 11.42 mi. )
- Gamerco, NM ( 12.00 mi. )
- Mexican Springs, NM ( 12.13 mi. )
- Manuelito, NM ( 13.39 mi. )
- Saint Michaels, AZ ( 13.96 mi. )
- St Michaels, AZ ( 13.96 mi. )
- Two Story, AZ ( 13.96 mi. )
- Oak Springs, AZ ( 14.26 mi. )
- Gallup, NM ( 14.66 mi. )
- Rehoboth, NM ( 18.75 mi. )
- Tohatchi, NM ( 18.87 mi. )
- Navajo, NM ( 19.12 mi. )
- Lupton, AZ ( 19.72 mi. )
- Navajo Wingate Village, NM ( 21.27 mi. )
- Two Gray Hills, NM ( 21.97 mi. )
- Church Rock, NM ( 22.37 mi. )
- Pine Springs, AZ ( 23.63 mi. )
- Chi Chll Tah, NM ( 23.91 mi. )
- Brimhall, NM ( 25.09 mi. )
- Fort Wingate Army Depot, NM ( 25.42 mi. )
- Senator Clarke Field, NM ( 25.42 mi. )
- Tohlakai, NM ( 25.42 mi. )
- Allentown, AZ ( 25.84 mi. )
- Querino, AZ ( 26.01 mi. )
- Fort Wingate, NM ( 26.07 mi. )
- Springstead, NM ( 26.25 mi. )
- Perea, NM ( 26.48 mi. )
- Crystal, NM ( 27.51 mi. )
- Vanderwagen, NM ( 27.56 mi. )
- Houck, AZ ( 28.81 mi. )
- Pinedale, NM ( 30.44 mi. )
- McGaffey, NM ( 30.68 mi. )
- Contnental Dv, NM ( 31.08 mi. )
- Hubbell Trading Post Nationa, AZ ( 31.43 mi. )
- Kin-Li-Chee, AZ ( 31.43 mi. )
- Mennonite Mission, AZ ( 31.43 mi. )
- Navajo Station, AZ ( 31.43 mi. )
- Woodsprings, AZ ( 31.43 mi. )
- Jamestown, NM ( 31.51 mi. )
Additional Location DetailsZip Code(s): 86515
TimeZone: Mountain (GMT -07:00)
Daylight Saving: Yes
Average Elevation: 7606.0 ft.
Area Code(s): 505