About Alto, NM
Alto, NM is located in Lincoln County in the state of New Mexico.
The total City Population for Alto is about 5,172 with about 47 people per square mile.
The Average Home Value is $303,000, which is roughly 58% higher than the Average Home Value of $127,634 for the state of New Mexico, and roughly 28% higher than the National Average of $217,072.
The Median Income Per Household is about $58,945, which is roughly 32% higher than the Average Median Income Per Household of $40,340 for the state of New Mexico, and roughly 9% lower higher than the National Average of $65,026.
Demographic DetailsAverage # of People Per Household: 2.17
Male Population Estimate: 49.6%
Female Population Estimate: 50.4%
Median Age: 56.3
Male Median Age: 57.3
Female Median Age: 55.6
Racial Demographic Estimates
Ben Ray Luján
Michelle Lujan Grisham
Voting Results by Party
NOTE: Crime is available at the County level so this doesn't necessarily represent the city of Alto specifically.
Average # of Homicides for Lincoln County: About 8.38 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2014)
Average # of Violent Crimes for Lincoln County: About 379.552 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Lincoln County is about 53% higher than the national average of about 4 homicides per 100,000 people, and about 24% higher than the national average of about 288 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
New Mexico is ranked #13 out of 52 for Best and Worst States to Work in America, with an overall score of 67.89 out of 100.
Wage PoliciesOverall Wage Policy Score: 62.44
The average living wage for the state of New Mexico is $31.58/hr, while the states minimum wage is $10.50/hr, which can be set above the state standard, and is extended to farm workers. This gives New Mexico a minimum wage score of 59.22 compared to all other states.
The minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.55/hr, which gives New Mexico a minimum wage for tipped employees score of 2.4 compared to all other states.
The weekly unemployment (UI) benefit for New Mexico is $274.70, resulting in a UI benefit score of 84.75 compared to all other states.
Worker Protection PoliciesOverall Worker Protection Score: 71.43
✓ New Mexico does offer protections for workplace breastfeeding.
✓ New Mexico does mandate equal pay across gender and race.
X New Mexico does prohibit pay secrecy practices in the workplace.
X New Mexico does restrict access to salary history to reduce gender and racial bias.
X New Mexico does provide some form of paid family leave.
X New Mexico does provide some form of paid sick leave.
X New Mexico does not provide flexible scheduling of worker shifts.
X New Mexico does not mandate pay reporting or "call-in" pay by employers.
X New Mexico does not provide split shift pay regulation.
X New Mexico does not provide workers advanced notice of shift scheduling.
✓ New Mexico does provide some form of sexual harassment protection in state law.
✓ New Mexico does extend workers compensation mandates to farmworkers.
✓ New Mexico does not extend worker protections to domestic workers.
Right To Organize PoliciesOverall Right To Organize Score: 70
✓ New Mexico does legalize project labor agreements to ensure a fair wage to workers on contract.
✓ New Mexico does not protect workers against wage theft retaliation.
✓ New Mexico does partially require collective bargaining for public workers.
✓ New Mexico does provide collective bargaining for teachers.
✓ New Mexico does provide wage negotiations for teachers.
A global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice.
- Sierra Vista, NM ( 1.00 mi. )
- Alto Crest, NM ( 1.90 mi. )
- Hollywood, NM ( 1.90 mi. )
- Sierra Blanca, NM ( 1.90 mi. )
- Ruidoso, NM ( 3.19 mi. )
- Ruidoso Downs, NM ( 6.72 mi. )
- Nogal, NM ( 9.80 mi. )
- Capitan, NM ( 10.81 mi. )
- Fort Stanton, NM ( 11.30 mi. )
- Glencoe, NM ( 13.39 mi. )
- Mescalero Apache Indian Rese, NM ( 14.33 mi. )
- Lincoln, NM ( 18.28 mi. )
- Mescalero, NM ( 18.62 mi. )
- Carrizozo, NM ( 19.25 mi. )
- Bent, NM ( 20.17 mi. )
- San Patricio, NM ( 20.41 mi. )
- Three Rivers, NM ( 23.35 mi. )
- Hondo, NM ( 23.65 mi. )
- White Oaks, NM ( 24.30 mi. )
- Oscuro, NM ( 24.55 mi. )
- Tinnie, NM ( 26.27 mi. )
- Pine Lodge, NM ( 29.49 mi. )
- Tularosa, NM ( 29.61 mi. )
- Cloudcroft, NM ( 30.91 mi. )
- Arabela, NM ( 31.98 mi. )
- Mountain Park, NM ( 32.04 mi. )
- Angus, NM ( 32.14 mi. )
- Jicarilla, NM ( 32.49 mi. )
- High Rolls, NM ( 32.78 mi. )
- La Luz, NM ( 33.16 mi. )
- Mayhill, NM ( 36.31 mi. )
- Flying H, NM ( 37.13 mi. )
- Elk, NM ( 37.28 mi. )
- Ancho, NM ( 37.38 mi. )
- Alamogordo, NM ( 39.11 mi. )
- High Rolls Mountain Park, NM ( 41.12 mi. )
- Hi Rls Mtn Pk, NM ( 41.12 mi. )
- Weed, NM ( 42.14 mi. )
- Sacramento, NM ( 42.38 mi. )
- Sunspot, NM ( 43.16 mi. )
- Artesia Camp, NM ( 43.83 mi. )
- Holloman AFB, NM ( 45.07 mi. )
- Holloman Air Force Base, NM ( 46.90 mi. )
- Dunken, NM ( 49.00 mi. )
- White Sands National Monumen, NM ( 49.70 mi. )
Additional Location DetailsZip Code(s): 88345
TimeZone: Mountain (GMT -07:00)
Daylight Saving: Yes
Average Elevation: 7353.0 ft.
Area Code(s): 575