About Lamar, MS
Lamar, MS is located in Benton County in the state of Mississippi.
The total City Population for Lamar is about 6,963 with about 4 people per square mile.
The Average Home Value is $74,300, which is roughly 19% lower than the Average Home Value of $91,745 for the state of Mississippi, and roughly 61% lower than the National Average of $188,692.
The Median Income Per Household is about $36,250, which is roughly 8% lower than the Average Median Income Per Household of $39,280 for the state of Mississippi, and roughly 37% lower higher than the National Average of $57,518.
Demographic DetailsAverage # of People Per Household: 2.78
Male Population Estimate: 48.4%
Female Population Estimate: 51.6%
Median Age: 37.1
Male Median Age: 35.3
Female Median Age: 38.3
Racial Demographic Estimates
Voting Results by Party
NOTE: Crime is available at the County level so this doesn't necessarily represent the city of Lamar specifically.
Average # of Homicides for Benton County: About 11.9603 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Average # of Violent Crimes for Benton County: About 373.763 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Benton County is about 67% higher than the national average of about 4 homicides per 100,000 people, and about 23% higher than the national average of about 288 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
Mississippi is ranked #50 out of 52 for Best and Worst States to Work in America, with an overall score of 8.08 out of 100.
Wage PoliciesOverall Wage Policy Score: 7.7
The average living wage for the state of Mississippi is $30.09/hr, while the states minimum wage is $7.25/hr, which can be set above the state standard, and is extended to farm workers. This gives Mississippi a minimum wage score of 11.66 compared to all other states.
The minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hr, which gives Mississippi a minimum wage for tipped employees score of 8.97 compared to all other states.
The weekly unemployment (UI) benefit for Mississippi is $145.00, resulting in a UI benefit score of 8.82 compared to all other states.
Worker Protection PoliciesOverall Worker Protection Score: 71.43
X Mississippi does offer protections for workplace breastfeeding.
X Mississippi does mandate equal pay across gender and race.
X Mississippi does prohibit pay secrecy practices in the workplace.
X Mississippi does restrict access to salary history to reduce gender and racial bias.
X Mississippi does provide some form of paid family leave.
X Mississippi does provide some form of paid sick leave.
X Mississippi does not provide flexible scheduling of worker shifts.
X Mississippi does not mandate pay reporting or "call-in" pay by employers.
X Mississippi does not provide split shift pay regulation.
X Mississippi does not provide workers advanced notice of shift scheduling.
X Mississippi does provide some form of sexual harassment protection in state law.
X Mississippi does extend workers compensation mandates to farmworkers.
X Mississippi does not extend worker protections to domestic workers.
Right To Organize PoliciesOverall Right To Organize Score: 70
X Mississippi does legalize project labor agreements to ensure a fair wage to workers on contract.
X Mississippi does not protect workers against wage theft retaliation.
✓ Mississippi does partially require collective bargaining for public workers.
✓ Mississippi does provide collective bargaining for teachers.
X Mississippi does provide wage negotiations for teachers.
A global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice.
- Earlygrove, MS ( 0.58 mi. )
- Michigan City, MS ( 5.98 mi. )
- Snow Lake Shores, MS ( 7.48 mi. )
- Slayden, MS ( 7.51 mi. )
- Spring Hill, MS ( 7.58 mi. )
- Ashland, MS ( 9.47 mi. )
- La Grange, TN ( 10.24 mi. )
- Canaan, MS ( 10.74 mi. )
- Cannon, MS ( 10.90 mi. )
- Moscow, TN ( 11.10 mi. )
- Grand Junction, TN ( 11.89 mi. )
- Holly Springs, MS ( 11.96 mi. )
- Mount Pleasant, MS ( 12.26 mi. )
- Holly Spgs, MS ( 12.54 mi. )
- Grand Jct, TN ( 13.16 mi. )
- Taska, MS ( 14.18 mi. )
- Mt Pleasant, MS ( 14.75 mi. )
- Red Banks, MS ( 15.05 mi. )
- Lake Center, MS ( 15.61 mi. )
- Saulsbury, TN ( 15.92 mi. )
- Rossville, TN ( 16.21 mi. )
- Gravestown, MS ( 17.32 mi. )
- Williston, TN ( 17.34 mi. )
- Victoria, MS ( 17.70 mi. )
- Potts Camp, MS ( 18.17 mi. )
- Hickory Vly, TN ( 19.19 mi. )
- Piperton, TN ( 19.20 mi. )
- Macon, TN ( 19.34 mi. )
- Pinegrove, MS ( 19.51 mi. )
- Winborn, MS ( 19.55 mi. )
- Waterford, MS ( 19.87 mi. )
- Hickory Valley, TN ( 19.88 mi. )
- Byhalia, MS ( 21.39 mi. )
- Hickory Flat, MS ( 21.63 mi. )
- Colliervl, TN ( 21.71 mi. )
- Colliervle, TN ( 21.71 mi. )
- Falkner, MS ( 21.73 mi. )
- Walnut, MS ( 22.31 mi. )
- Somerville, TN ( 22.66 mi. )
- Tiplersville, MS ( 23.10 mi. )
- Bethlehem, MS ( 23.14 mi. )
- Blue Mountain, MS ( 23.22 mi. )
- Anvil, MS ( 23.52 mi. )
- Burrow, MS ( 23.52 mi. )
- Collierville, TN ( 23.61 mi. )
- Blue Mount, MS ( 23.85 mi. )
- Ripley, MS ( 24.42 mi. )
- Brownfield, MS ( 24.51 mi. )
- Oakland, TN ( 25.01 mi. )
Additional Location DetailsZip Code(s): 38642
TimeZone: Central (GMT -06:00)
Daylight Saving: Yes
Average Elevation: 489.0 ft.
Area Code(s): 662