About Avalon, MS
Avalon, MS is located in Carroll County in the state of Mississippi.
The total City Population for Avalon is about 25,297 with about 3 people per square mile.
The Average Home Value is $84,700, which is roughly 17% lower than the Average Home Value of $101,622 for the state of Mississippi, and roughly 61% lower than the National Average of $217,072.
The Median Income Per Household is about $26,643, which is roughly 37% lower than the Average Median Income Per Household of $42,496 for the state of Mississippi, and roughly 59% lower higher than the National Average of $65,026.
Demographic DetailsAverage # of People Per Household: 2.55
Male Population Estimate: 47.7%
Female Population Estimate: 52.3%
Median Age: 34.9
Male Median Age: 32.9
Female Median Age: 37.0
Racial Demographic Estimates
Voting Results by Party
NOTE: Crime is available at the County level so this doesn't necessarily represent the city of Avalon specifically.
Average # of Homicides for Carroll County: About 24.2616 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Average # of Violent Crimes for Carroll County: About 613.807 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Carroll County is about 84% higher than the national average of about 4 homicides per 100,000 people, and about 53% higher than the national average of about 288 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
Mississippi is ranked #50 out of 52 for Best and Worst States to Work in America, with an overall score of 8.08 out of 100.
Wage PoliciesOverall Wage Policy Score: 7.7
The average living wage for the state of Mississippi is $30.09/hr, while the states minimum wage is $7.25/hr, which can be set above the state standard, and is extended to farm workers. This gives Mississippi a minimum wage score of 11.66 compared to all other states.
The minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hr, which gives Mississippi a minimum wage for tipped employees score of 8.97 compared to all other states.
The weekly unemployment (UI) benefit for Mississippi is $145.00, resulting in a UI benefit score of 8.82 compared to all other states.
Worker Protection PoliciesOverall Worker Protection Score: 71.43
X Mississippi does offer protections for workplace breastfeeding.
X Mississippi does mandate equal pay across gender and race.
X Mississippi does prohibit pay secrecy practices in the workplace.
X Mississippi does restrict access to salary history to reduce gender and racial bias.
X Mississippi does provide some form of paid family leave.
X Mississippi does provide some form of paid sick leave.
X Mississippi does not provide flexible scheduling of worker shifts.
X Mississippi does not mandate pay reporting or "call-in" pay by employers.
X Mississippi does not provide split shift pay regulation.
X Mississippi does not provide workers advanced notice of shift scheduling.
X Mississippi does provide some form of sexual harassment protection in state law.
X Mississippi does extend workers compensation mandates to farmworkers.
X Mississippi does not extend worker protections to domestic workers.
Right To Organize PoliciesOverall Right To Organize Score: 70
X Mississippi does legalize project labor agreements to ensure a fair wage to workers on contract.
X Mississippi does not protect workers against wage theft retaliation.
✓ Mississippi does partially require collective bargaining for public workers.
✓ Mississippi does provide collective bargaining for teachers.
X Mississippi does provide wage negotiations for teachers.
A global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice.
- G Wood, MS ( 6.05 mi. )
- Oxberry, MS ( 9.42 mi. )
- Philipp, MS ( 9.83 mi. )
- Holcomb, MS ( 9.92 mi. )
- Valley Hill, MS ( 10.51 mi. )
- Jefferson, MS ( 11.06 mi. )
- Shellmound, MS ( 11.66 mi. )
- Nason, MS ( 11.72 mi. )
- Greenwood, MS ( 11.81 mi. )
- Macel, MS ( 12.37 mi. )
- Sunnyside, MS ( 12.37 mi. )
- Dubard, MS ( 12.73 mi. )
- North Carrollton, MS ( 13.42 mi. )
- Minter City, MS ( 13.79 mi. )
- Carrollton, MS ( 13.98 mi. )
- Somerville, MS ( 14.01 mi. )
- Mc Carley, MS ( 14.11 mi. )
- Cascilla, MS ( 14.69 mi. )
- Highlandale, MS ( 14.95 mi. )
- Schlater, MS ( 15.20 mi. )
- Rising Sun, MS ( 15.30 mi. )
- Leverett, MS ( 15.74 mi. )
- Glendora, MS ( 16.82 mi. )
- Roebuck, MS ( 16.86 mi. )
- Rosebloom, MS ( 17.08 mi. )
- McCarley, MS ( 17.10 mi. )
- Greenwood Leflore Airport, MS ( 17.18 mi. )
- Itta Bena, MS ( 17.46 mi. )
- Holly Grove, MS ( 17.54 mi. )
- Grenada, MS ( 17.93 mi. )
- Tie Plant, MS ( 17.99 mi. )
- Whitehead, MS ( 18.12 mi. )
- Paynes, MS ( 18.38 mi. )
- Sidon, MS ( 18.47 mi. )
- Tippo, MS ( 18.56 mi. )
- Swan Lake, MS ( 18.95 mi. )
- Coila, MS ( 19.10 mi. )
- Paul, MS ( 19.29 mi. )
- Elliott, MS ( 19.30 mi. )
- Geeslin Corner, MS ( 19.41 mi. )
- Sunnycrest, MS ( 19.41 mi. )
- Quito, MS ( 19.42 mi. )
- Futheyville, MS ( 19.79 mi. )
- Effie, MS ( 20.02 mi. )
- Sharkey, MS ( 20.09 mi. )
- Berclair, MS ( 20.46 mi. )
- Murdock Crossing, MS ( 20.78 mi. )
- Duck Hill, MS ( 21.34 mi. )
- Phillipstown, MS ( 21.47 mi. )
Additional Location DetailsZip Code(s): 38930
TimeZone: Central (GMT -06:00)
Daylight Saving: Yes
Average Elevation: 125.0 ft.
Area Code(s): 662