Harper Woods' Livability
About Harper Woods, MI
Harper Woods, MI is located in Wayne County in the state of Michigan.
The total City Population for Harper Woods is about 15,287 with about 2,031 people per square mile.
The Average Home Value is $111,885, which is roughly 32% lower than the Average Home Value of $165,251 for the state of Michigan, and roughly 48% lower than the National Average of $217,072.
The Median Income Per Household is about $53,555, which is roughly 15% lower than the Average Median Income Per Household of $62,976 for the state of Michigan, and roughly 18% lower higher than the National Average of $65,026.
Demographic DetailsAverage # of People Per Household: 2.42
Male Population Estimate: 45.8%
Female Population Estimate: 54.2%
Median Age: 37.2
Male Median Age: 35.0
Female Median Age: 39.3
Racial Demographic Estimates
Voting Results by Party
NOTE: Crime is available at the County level so this doesn't necessarily represent the city of Harper Woods specifically.
Average # of Homicides for Wayne County: About 17.6342 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Average # of Violent Crimes for Wayne County: About 1015.52 per 100,000 People
(last recorded in 2021)
Wayne County is about 78% higher than the national average of about 4 homicides per 100,000 people, and about 72% higher than the national average of about 288 violent crimes per 100,000 people.
The Unemployment Rate for Harper Woods is about 8.4%.
Michigan is ranked #29 out of 52 for Best and Worst States to Work in America, with an overall score of 38.48 out of 100.
Wage PoliciesOverall Wage Policy Score: 44.13
The average living wage for the state of Michigan is $29.66/hr, while the states minimum wage is $9.65/hr, which can be set above the state standard, and is extended to farm workers. This gives Michigan a minimum wage score of 55.51 compared to all other states.
The minimum wage for tipped employees is $3.67/hr, which gives Michigan a minimum wage for tipped employees score of 20.12 compared to all other states.
The weekly unemployment (UI) benefit for Michigan is $217.74, resulting in a UI benefit score of 58.18 compared to all other states.
Worker Protection PoliciesOverall Worker Protection Score: 71.43
X Michigan does offer protections for workplace breastfeeding.
✓ Michigan does mandate equal pay across gender and race.
✓ Michigan does prohibit pay secrecy practices in the workplace.
X Michigan does restrict access to salary history to reduce gender and racial bias.
X Michigan does provide some form of paid family leave.
X Michigan does provide some form of paid sick leave.
X Michigan does not provide flexible scheduling of worker shifts.
X Michigan does not mandate pay reporting or "call-in" pay by employers.
X Michigan does not provide split shift pay regulation.
X Michigan does not provide workers advanced notice of shift scheduling.
✓ Michigan does provide some form of sexual harassment protection in state law.
✓ Michigan does extend workers compensation mandates to farmworkers.
X Michigan does not extend worker protections to domestic workers.
Right To Organize PoliciesOverall Right To Organize Score: 70
X Michigan does legalize project labor agreements to ensure a fair wage to workers on contract.
X Michigan does not protect workers against wage theft retaliation.
✓ Michigan does partially require collective bargaining for public workers.
✓ Michigan does provide collective bargaining for teachers.
✓ Michigan does provide wage negotiations for teachers.
A global organization that fights inequality to end poverty and injustice.
- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI ( 1.57 mi. )
- East Detroit, MI ( 1.96 mi. )
- Eastpointe, MI ( 2.03 mi. )
- Saint Clair Shores, MI ( 2.33 mi. )
- St Clair Shores, MI ( 2.33 mi. )
- St Clair Shrs, MI ( 2.33 mi. )
- St Clr Shores, MI ( 2.33 mi. )
- St Clr Shrs, MI ( 2.33 mi. )
- Grosse Pointe Shores, MI ( 2.67 mi. )
- Grosse Pointe Farms, MI ( 2.70 mi. )
- Grosse Pointe, MI ( 3.40 mi. )
- Grosse Pt Frm, MI ( 3.90 mi. )
- Grosse Pt Shr, MI ( 3.90 mi. )
- Grosse Pt Wds, MI ( 3.90 mi. )
- Saint Clair Shrs, MI ( 4.05 mi. )
- Grosse Pointe Park, MI ( 4.12 mi. )
- Grosse Pt Pk, MI ( 4.51 mi. )
- Roseville, MI ( 4.74 mi. )
- Detroit Arsenal, MI ( 5.67 mi. )
- Dtrt Arsenal, MI ( 5.67 mi. )
- US Army Tank Auto Command, MI ( 5.67 mi. )
- Center Line, MI ( 5.76 mi. )
- Warren, MI ( 6.23 mi. )
- Fraser, MI ( 6.97 mi. )
- Hamtramck, MI ( 7.12 mi. )
- Clinton Township, MI ( 8.02 mi. )
- Clinton Twp, MI ( 8.02 mi. )
- Hazel Park, MI ( 8.72 mi. )
- Highland Park, MI ( 8.89 mi. )
- Bank Of America, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- Chase Bank, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- Chrysler Corporation, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- Comerica, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- Comerica Incorporated, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- Detroit River Station, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- DTE, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- DTE Energy, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- DTE Energy Brm, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- General Motors, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- Kelly Services Inc, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- Remittance Contest, MI ( 9.49 mi. )
- Detroit, MI ( 9.62 mi. )
- Lakeside, MI ( 9.84 mi. )
- Madison Heights, MI ( 10.04 mi. )
- Madison Hts, MI ( 10.07 mi. )
- Ferndale, MI ( 10.39 mi. )
- Royal Oak Twp, MI ( 10.88 mi. )
- Sterling Heights, MI ( 11.07 mi. )
- Pleasant Rdg, MI ( 11.18 mi. )
Additional Location DetailsZip Code(s): 48225, 48265 (2 Total Zip Codes)
TimeZone: Eastern (GMT -05:00)
Daylight Saving: Yes
Average Elevation: 591.0 ft.
Area Code(s): 313